Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Crosswalk Incident



Last week I was downtown when city police cars and emergency vehicles converged on the corner of Bridge and Durkee streets.  There was a woman laying in a crosswalk surrounded by EMTs preparing her for transport by ambulance to the hospital.

It was reported later that the driver of a pickup truck was making a turn and struck the woman who was already in the crosswalk.  The driver was ticketed for not yielding the right of way.

As I've said before, it's sometimes safer for a pedestrian to jaywalk then it is to use a crosswalk.  Over the years I've had three close calls with vehicles in city crosswalks; each time I had the right of way.  One time a pickup truck driver did a right-on-red without looking, knocking me back.

Be careful out there.

No comments: