Thursday, June 05, 2008

SMILE – You Are Being RECORDED




Nighttime. Walking along when something in the corner of my eye grabs my attention. A black and white video monitor in someone’s front window, facing towards the sidewalk. In another window a sign informs me that I’m being recorded.

This is what it has come to. To protect his property a Plattsburgh resident has to install a home surveillance system to keep an eye on things during the hours of darkness.

So if I walk by this particular house, I’ll be recorded. OK, fine by me.

I’ll just make my image of me being imaged. I can’t see into the residence. I don’t want to. I just want to document how acts of vandalism and break-ins around the city have put some people on edge.

Maybe home surveillance systems will be popping up all over like satellite TV dishes.

The wave of the future.

No comments: