Friday, August 24, 2018

Yes I Can



PLATTSBURGH CITY, NY -- 8/24/18




© 2018 Luke T. Bush

"You can't take my picture.  I didn't give you permission."

Another gathering of Pokemon players, this time near the public library.  I had photographed two other such groups with no problems until this woman challenged me.

I told her I had the right to photograph people in public view.  I wasn't that close to her so she couldn't contend I was harassing her.

A guy spoke up.  "You need permission."

No, I don't.

A second man sitting in a car repeated the same misinformation.

I told them that if they had a problem with me taking their photographs then please call the police and we can get all this hashed out.

The situation is explained by LegalZoom :

"This doesn't necessarily make it illegal for someone to snap your photo without your permission though. For instance, if you're just walking down the street and someone takes a picture, they're well within their rights no matter how violated you might feel."

And the same point is made in The Photographer's Right guide:

"The general rule in the United States is that anyone may take photographs of whatever they want when they are in a public place or places where they have permission to take photographs.  Absent a specific legal prohibition such as a statute or ordinance, you are legally entitled to take photographs. Examples of places that are traditionally considered public are streets, sidewalks, and public parks."

Maybe next time you're being photographed you could politely ask not to have your picture taken.  Works better than angrily declaring misinformation about the law, violating someone's right.

And if you're so concerned about your image being recorded then demand all street and store security cameras be shut down.

  

No comments: