Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Lensing Art


Artist Walter "Gator" Dunnington (right) discusses his work with two patrons during the opening reception for his exhibit at the ROTA Gallery.


After being nearsighted most of my life, stuck with Coke-bottle-bottom eyeglasses, I grok how lenses can simply detail or bend reality.

Friday evening I was wandering around the ROTA Gallery, taking a few shots of the opening reception for the artist Walter "Gator" Dunnington.  The exhibit features paintings inspired by an eclectic range of sources, from puzzles to Mimbres pottery to the stylings of comic book artist Jack Kirby.  I noticed how an eyeglass lens of an attendee was providing an unusual POV with one piece. 



Sunday evening there was a music event at ROTA and once again I spotted an unusual POV of the same exhibit, this time provided by a bespectacled listener in the audience .


Is focusing on the image within an eyeglass lens weird?  Kinda.  But let me invoke the standard excuse: I'm an artist.


The Dunnington exhibit will run for about two weeks.  ROTA is located at 50 Margaret Street in downtown Plattsburgh.  Depending upon volunteer staffing, it is open daily from 12 to 5 PM.  More info at www.rotagallery.com .

No comments: