Sunday, February 24, 2008

Eclipsing My Notoriety








Today I ran into some friends at a downtown coffeehouse. They introduced me to the other people at their table as a photographer who takes shots of dog litter.

The preceding images of a recent lunar eclipse should prove that I engage in other activities besides documenting the lack of proper sanitary attention in Plattsburgh.

The first image - taken with my compact digital camera - is a composite using a photo-editing program called GIMP. While exposing for the clock face, the moon lost all its detail. So I used replaced the glaring moon by pasting in another image – albeit one taken at a longer focal length – with the correct exposure.

The second image is scanned from film, taken with a zoom lens set at 210mm.

So after this post maybe one aspect of my work won’t dog me the next time I’m being introduced.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great shots! I've used gimp in the past and once I learned the tools, preferred it vastly to photoshop (plus, it was free). Is the clock actually showing the correct time?

- JT

Luke T. Bush said...

JT:

The somewhat larger, properly-exposed shot of the moon was taken at 8:50 PM; the clock at 9 PM, according to the data from my digital camera. So either the city's clock was 1 minute behind or my camera's clock was one minute fast. Since the eclipse happens at a slow pace, I think it's OK to combine two shots taken within ten minutes of each other. Then again, I'm a photographer, not a scientist trying to faithfully document the event.

Luke