Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Threatening Image?



Once again I’ve been challenged in regards to my right to take a photograph in a public place. Especially a photo of an inanimate object.




This evening I was about to enter a downtown eatery when I noticed how the neon lights were being reflected on a green plastic chair outside on the sidewalk. No one was sitting in any of the chairs in the designated dining area.

I snapped an image when the owner of the eatery told me that I needed his permission to shoot the chair. I explained I was just shooting the neon light being reflected on the chair. He repeated that he owned the chair and I needed his permission.

So I just walked away. I doubt I’ll be patronizing that eatery anytime soon.

Maybe the owner saw me earlier in the day across the street shooting the unsafe building where some concrete had fallen. I wanted to show how the yellow caution tape had been extended to the front of the building. (Hmmmm, I wonder who owns that building?)

Of course, I’m glad to share my challenged image and the details of the incident with this post. Nothing guarantees an incident being memed all over the Web more than telling a writographer he can’t pursue his interests.

3 comments:

Tom said...

If you were on the public sidewalk, you should have told him to get stuffed. I'm sure you do know your rights though....

Luke T. Bush said...

Tom:

I would have been more than happy to tell the guy to get stuffed. But there are two factors:

1. While the chair was on the sidewalk, the owner pays the city a fee to use part of the sidewalk for his customers. Ergo, I could be technically trespassing if I didn't go along with his request. That's how some places nail you -- not for taking shots but for not complying with a request and thus being charged with trespassing.

2. I've already been hassled by the police. Some of them don't understand the laws in regards to photography and once again while they couldn't charge me for taking photos, they could possibly charge me with being a public nuisance or whatever catch-all regulation might fit.

Anyway, I got the shot and a story to go with it. Sometimes it's better to walk away.

Luke

Tom said...

True enough, especially when a fee is paid. I guess you can always put your thumbs in your ears, wiggle your fingers and stick your tongue out!