Sunday, January 21, 2007

I Was Bored: Roses & Abstractions



I was sitting at the coffeehouse counter the other evening, tired of reading the newspaper. I needed something different to occupy my mind, something creative.

Roses. A vase of roses sat in front of me. I dug out my small tripod, set it up, and then attached my compact digital camera. I took a few shots. The roses, as you can tell, were a little past their full bloom: dark, decaying edges.

But I at least took one shot that despite the signs of deterioration looked OK. Of course, I can imagine that a practicing Freudian psychologist out there will have a field day with it. (Then again, the odds are probably against me. How many Freudian shrinks still in business – three?)




I took a few shots and got bored with trying to capture the fading bloom of the roses. I packed away my equipment. Then I wandered off, picking up a copy of Time magazine that was lying around. It was the Person Of The Year issue. Usually Time features a leading figure in the news - a president, dictator, businessman, whoever - whose actions had a notable affect on the world during the previous year.

This year Time got lazy and put a cheap mirror on the cover, saying that YOU were person of the year. How lame.




But when I laid the magazine on the counter, I noticed how the roses were reflected in the cheap cover mirror. So I played around with the mirror, seeing what kind of abstracts I could create. Once again I dragged out my small tripod and camera and took some more shots.

What I like about the coffeehouse is that all sorts of freethinkers hang there. No one bothered me while I shot away. I worked uninterrupted, a blessing.






2 comments:

TourPro said...

Excellent use of a historical periodical.

To bad many of those employed by Time didn't look in that very mirror and realize their days were numbered.

Luke T. Bush said...

Tourpro:

You mean the 300 who just got laid off from Time, Inc.? I heard each one got one of those plastic mirrors with a note: Here's the person that will help you find your next job.

Well, at least the stockholders will be smiling in their gilded mirrors when their shares go up. Ever notice that lay-offs mean rising shares? Of course, an employee is expendable like outdated machinery, just part of the cost of doing business.

Luke