Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Man Shoots Window; Police Not On The Scene


Yesterday evening I noticed this small pit in a front window of a business that was closed for the day. It was probably caused by a defect in the glass. I was intrigued by the way it was reflecting and bending the image of the latticed doorway on the other side. I set up my camera on a tripod and got in close. The police didn’t drive by and ask me what I was doing. (See below.) Maybe they had spotted a birdwatcher on the other side of town and were questioning him about his binoculars.

“Now you say you look at birds with that device…?”

It’s interesting how the police are compelled to inquire about my activity when I am obviously engaging in the lawful act of photography.

Police Officer: “Excuse me, what are you doing?”

Me: “Hmmmm, let’s see. I have a camera on top of a tripod. I must be getting ready to launch a cruise missile at the White House.”

As tempting as it would be, I don’t say what is on my mind. I bite my tongue a lot. And keep taking images. And giving polite replies to simple questions.

No comments: